Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bluebirds: Little Portents of Spring…

Several days ago, Michael inspired me to step outside for just a moment… that’s not unusual, but he almost never tells me why I should do so.  He just implores me to, usually citing the expected comment “You’ll see…” when I ask him why, and so I do without asking further.  On this particular day, the temperature was still below freezing, and though it was mid afternoon, as I’ve been inclined to lately, I was still in my pajamas, enjoying the freedom of simply be-ing.  Yes, it was still freezing out, and snow still lay all around from the last intense storm, but I stepped outside anyway.  I looked around.  I looked.  I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, but the it hit me.  “Spring is coming…” I said aloud, and went back into the house.

Today, now several days later, as I sat on my favorite park bench enjoying the long rays of the late afternoon sun I saw a little bird flit by.  I didn’t take too much notice of it at first, until I realized what a vivid color of blue it was.  I thought perhaps it was just a trick of the late afternoon sun playing on my eyes at first, but then his mate flew by and landed close to him on a weed that was sticking up through the grasses that had been matted down by the now thawed snow.  I sat watching the little beauties and thinking to myself how lucky I am to be viewing such a sight… a little portent of Spring.  And then as I sat another, and then another little Blue Bird flew by and landed similarly on the weeds that were sticking up through the grasses. 

The sun was starting to set and it was beginning to get a little chilly so I stood up to get ready to leave and walk back home, but I just had to stand and watch the little creatures flitting about, landing in the grasses, gulping up tasty treats of insects that were already coming out in the warming weather.  Such an intense shade of indigo they were… kind of reminds me of someone I know well. Those fond thoughts brought a smile of contentment and knowing to my mouth… and I wished he was there so that he could kiss it.  Just then two of the little birds flew up and landed on the weeds directly in front of me and sat there looking at me in their curious way, cocking their heads first one direction, and then the other as if to say hello.  I told them how Beautiful they were as they sat there a moment and then they flitted away in search of another snack.
Bluebirds; little portents of Spring.  Spring is not just coming… it’s already here, and THAT should prove to be a harbinger of even better things to come!!

[Here’s a curious observation: as I go through looking for photos on the internet to post with this story, I’m noting that the bluebirds I saw were in fact Western Bluebirds… not Eastern… hmmmm what in the world are Western Bluebirds doing on the East Coast???]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.